Tag Archives: the Corner

Today in Rip Payne

13 Jul

by Emma Earnst

 

Today in 1964, Rip Payne documented Bradley Peyton Motors, a locally owned Pontiac-Cadillac dealership.  Peyton Motors was located on West Main Street, on the lot where the Red Roof Inn now sits.  The dealership opened in 1947, and existed for nearly twenty years until in 1967 the hotel (at this time, a Howard Johnson,) replaced it.  Prior to being the car dealership, the land had been host to a number of businesses, including a gas station, dry cleaners, and miniature golf course.  For more fun facts about the development of the Corner blocks, check out this great spread by Coy Barefoot in the University of Virginia Magazine archives.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements